Wednesday, May 22, 2013

DIY 4 Ingredient Mini Spa Bath



I love Pinterest. I love the ideas, possibilities,  inspirations. The crafts. The foods. The beverage concoctions. The pictures of men's abs. Yum.

One thing I don't like, however, is the sometimes unrealistic attitude about the creations. In my opinion, a recipe labelled "Easy Mongolian Barbecue"  should not need 13 ingredients and 2 hours to cook. I don't have an endless supply of herbs and baubles sitting around my house, waiting to be forged into something fabulous. No glass cutter, no mini blow torch. Just a normal household, with normal things. 

That being said, I wanted to have a bit of pampering before my wedding, without spending any money. I scoured Pinterest for things I could do at home with what I had. I decided on extremely simple homemade face and hair masks, because I wanted the least amount of stress and risk*. I combined them with a nice bath, and the combination of the three left me feeling relaxed, revitalized, and moisturized.


What can you expect from your spa bath? The olive oil and yogurt are working to moisturize. The egg provides protein, and the honey works to kill bacteria. The bath is just a fabulous way to relax and moisturize your whole body.

DIY 4 Ingredient Mini Spa Bath


You will need:
Olive Oil
1 Egg White
Yogurt (plain)- Greek works best
Honey

 Step 1: Hair Mask

Combine olive oil (about a half a cup, maybe more or less depending on the length of your hair) with an egg white. 



 Step 2: Face Mask

Combine yogurt with honey. My honey was a bit hard, so I microwaved the concoction for about 15 seconds, which made it easier to combine.



Step 3: Run a Bath

This is pretty self explanatory.  Got your rubber duckie ready?

Step 4: Get in bath

Duh.

Step 5: Apply hair and face masks

Yes, apply while you are in the bath. Massage them into their respective surfaces. The hair mask is a bit messy, some of the mixture will fall into the bath water- that's good! The oil and egg will moisturize your body while you soak. And the yogurt mixture in the water won't hurt either. Wrap up your hair so the mask doesn't wash off in the water. 

Step 6: Relax

Ahhhhh. Candles, wine, a little background music really helps the ambiance of the bath. Just don't fall asleep- safety first people!

Step 7: Remove masks

The face mask should stay on for up to 10 minutes. Wipe off with cotton swabs. A little may drip into the water, which is again, ok.
The hair mask can stay on for 15 minutes, then massage with warm water. Use a small amount of shampoo on your hair to remove the excess oils. 


And that's it! 

Simple mixtures, simple steps, maximum relaxation. I bet this spa treatment leaves you a lot calmer than if you had to drive across town and pay exorbitant costs for the same thing. 


Looking to spice it up a bit?  

If you have these other ingredients, try adding:
Face Mask: oatmeal, avocado, lemon, pumpkin
Hair Mask: mayonnaise, banana, avocado, pumpkin

Also, you can:
1. Dab peppermint oil behind your earlobes
2. Add a few drops of coconut oil to the water
3. Get that special someone in your life to massage your feet

*Risks: I choose ingredients that I knew I would not have an allergic reaction to. If you are doing any of these in preparation for a special event, try them weeks before to make sure there are no adverse affects. 

Any other ingredients you have tried? Ideas for other additions? Leave me some love below!

No comments:

Post a Comment