Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Ginger, Motorcycle Chick

I'm really excited, as I recently had a fun, albiet daunting, adventure- I took a motorcycle training course, and received my motorcycle license! Another thing to check off my bucket list!

Sorry Mom and Dad, I know you were not too keen on this happening.. what did you expect, though, when so many people in our family are bikers, and studies say that "biking is in the blood"?

Don't worry y'all, I'm not going to be buying a huge hog or entering in races any time soon. The course I did with Jacksonville Motorcycle Safety Training is done on little 125 engines- great for first time learners, but not something you really want to take cruising for long distances.

Hondo Rebel, the bikes we trained on. Fun little thing! And perfect for me, at only 5'3"!

So what's it like on a bike? Well, it's difficult and requires a lot of focus. You can't zone out like you can in a car. You always have to assume that people aren't going to pay attention to you. You must always expect the worst.

I know, that doesn't sound like much fun- but I promise you, it is! It is the feeling of freedom. The bike responds to your slightest lean, the smallest flick of the wrist. You are completely in control of the machine. The feeling of the wind whipping past you, and the knowledge that the world is so much more open to you than it was in a four-wheeled giant. Pure adrenaline bliss.

Biking definitely isn't for everyone. And you can't just go for a 2 day course and think you know everything. As of yet, I have still not driven a bike on a road. When I do, it'll be on a small engine, and back roads. It's not like when we learned to drive cars, and our parents could reach across and yank the wheel in an emergency. Making a mistake in a bike means a lot of damage to the bike and usually yourself as well. 

For those of you in the Jacksonville and St. Augustine area, I recommend Jacksonville Motorcycle Safety Training for your course (which must be completed to get a motorcycle endorsement on your driving license). The people were wonderful, knowledgable, and experienced.  And the best part is, they are understanding. If you are having troubles in the class, they will come in another time to work with you one-on-one (for free). If you passed the class, but still want more training, you can do the class again (for free!) whenever they have space available. Not a bad deal, if you ask me!

Any other new bikers out there who can't wait to hit the open road? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment