Thursday, April 4, 2013

Yummy Hasselback Potatoes and The Little Things in Life

Sometimes, we rely on the little things in life to get us through the day. This doesn't mean that life is bad, or not worth living. Just that our long term plans and goals are so far away, that we need something closer to us to pick up our spirits.

Yesterday was a pretty standard day, some work, some chores, blah blah. Lucky for me I had a trifecta of little things lifting my mood and pushing me on.

First was getting to have a lovely sit down on the sofa, wrapped in a blanket, drinking a nice cup of tea. Even better? Drinking out of my "Morning Gorgeous" mug. Perfect way to start a chilly morning. Nothing gets the day going like a bit of caffeine and an ego boost! 


The second pick-me-up for the day was finally having the time to try "Hasselback Potatoes". I had been wanting to try them since I first pinned them several months ago. Now, these potatoes are really easy to make, they just take a bit of preparation time. However, the time is worth it, as they are delicious and enjoyable to eat!

Hasselback Potatoes

Ingredients:
potatoes
butter
olive oil
garlic
salt and pepper
herbs (I used thyme and rosemary)

1st: Cut slits into the potato, almost all the way to the bottom. The pieces need to still be attached, but you should be able to easily spread the pieces apart with your fingers.

Cut the slits about 1cm apart

2nd: Here is the time consuming part. You need to put garlic and butter in EVERY slit. Ok, it won't be a disaster if you don't do every single one, but hey, if you are going to do it, do it right! Unfortunately I don't have an easy way to do this. This time I tried sprinkling the garlic, then pushing in the butter. I'm thinking, next time, I will mix the butter and garlic, then push it in? Or go super lazy, and just buy garlic butter.

3rd: Drizzle olive oil on top of the potato, then sprinkle salt, pepper, and herbs. 

4th: Bake for 30-40 minutes at 425 F.


All filled and ready to go in the oven!

While I was waiting, the third little thing happened- my wonderful fiance brought me flowers! Pretty sure that there isn't a woman out there who doesn't love receiving flowers. Definitely brightened my day!


And here is the final potato! 
I didn't take more pics, as it was so yummy I just cut right in and ate it all up! 

Have you tried any other ways of making a Hasselback potato? Comment below and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment