Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A World Traveler's Views on Tipping

I realized that I have't done a post addressing anything controversial or thought-provoking in awhile. So, here we are. 

Tips.

Now before I get into this, please bear in mind that I have the utmost respect for waiters/ waitresses, and everyone in the service industry. I've been a waitress (though luckily my salary did not rely on tips). I have several friends still doing it. I know the work is hard, and that dealing with people is not easy.

That being said, here are my beliefs about tipping.

Customers

1. You know that when you go to a restaurant, they will expect you to tip. This is not a new thing to America. If you don't have the money to tip, don't go to a restaurant.

2. You are not a child. You know how to behave in public. You also know when you are not behaving correctly in public (or when your children are not). You know when you are being too demanding, or rude. Think you are perfect? You are not. So don't be a jerk. Tip more than 25 cents.  


Waiters/ Waitresses

1. "Tips" does NOT MEAN "To insure proper service". Linguistically, this does not even make sense. If tips were to insure service, it would be paid before the service was provided. Tips are paid after. So stop saying it. To anyone with a firm grasp of the English language, you sound like an idiot.

2. Proper service? Wait a second, I have to give you extra money to do your job correctly? Oh interesting. I know, as a teacher, I am expected to do my job properly, without the expectation of gifts or money. 

3. It is not the customers fault that you get paid so little per hour. Stop complaining to the world that the customers are jerks for only giving you 15%- why don't you try complaining to the company that pays you $2.50 an hour? Or the government, for allowing it? Or.. get a job not reliant on customers?

4. If you are a bad waiter/waitress, do you still expect the tip? If I only taught your children A-T of the alphabet, would you still give me an end of the year gift? That's what I thought. 

I bet now you are confused. I am telling people to tip, but telling the waiters that I am not tipping them to do their job correctly? Well, before I outline my beliefs, let me explain to you how tipping works in the rest of the world.

China

The only place where people tip in China is in the expensive restaurants in the big cities (and usually at American franchises). It is a modern addition to their society. They are paid normal wages, and the tips are extra income. 

United Kingdom

In the UK, tips are paid at restaurants- for great service. The tip isn't dependent on the price of the meal, but on the quality of service. Bad service? The customers probably won't tip. Tipping is not expected in bars.

Japan

Nope, no tipping. Telling them you enjoyed their service is enough of a reward for them.

Russia

Tipping is becoming more common, but the expected percentages are lower. 10% is usual.

Italy

Tipping is not the norm and usually not expected. Sometimes service fees are added on, in nicer restaurants. "Rounding Up" is a gesture done with good service- if it is 57 Euros, people leave 60.


Interesting, isn't it- the US is the only place where it is mandatory to tip? Also interesting is that in other countries, the restaurants seek out Americans, expecting tips (even where it is not tradition). So really, we are costing ourselves more money, home and abroad!


My Beliefs

So here is how I feel about tipping. Realistically, I hate it. Leave it to America to start a trend like this. It is annoying having to pay an addition onto what I am already paying. However, I understand the need for it, with the salary for waiters/waitresses being so low. So, I tip. Always.

However, I do swing more in the direction of the UK, in that what you get depends on the level of service. I don't mean whether the food was cold or the TV was too loud. Great waitresses get a good tip from me. Bad waitresses? You will still get something, just not like you could have. Don't even try to get snippy with me, however- your behavior is your responsibility. Bring me my food with a smile- and I will gladly tip you. Just as I will always teach the full alphabet, A-Z, even if I don't get a thank you card or cookies.

What do you think? Agree? Disagree? Comment below!

4 comments:

  1. There's a few different reasons I have seen through my years in the restaurant industry. First is overall cost of product. In most places the tips given to waiters is also used to pay, bussers, runners, and bartenders. Not all restaurant have all the other positions but when they do they are also paid the minimum server wage, usually less than 3 or 4 dollars. If a company had to pay actual wages for these workers the cost of the food would surely increase a fair amount. Including a tip into your bill could very well be less than paying more for products so the company could pay these people actual wages. Waiters also do not receive raises on their wages. That plays a role if they received an actual salary and it also makes it easier for the companies to keep track of labor costs across the board bc everyone is equally paid. One more thing tips do for companies is it helps them track the waiting staffs performance by comparing in individual's tip percentage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin, I can agree with that. However, I have seen many places around the world with reasonable prices, and the staff making full wages, without accepting tips. I see it more as a move for companies to make as much money as they can, than as to show about how they care about their employees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such is the American way. The rich get richer. Companies always are looking for ways to make more money. It's so socially accepted in this country now, I jut don't see a change happening. Although I'm ok with that for now since I make much more money bc of tips than I would without.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha yeah nothing will change. Good for you, I bet you make lots of money 'cause you are a good waiter/baker!

    ReplyDelete