Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Few Interesting Russian Facts and Habits

I've been teaching Russian students a year now, and I have noticed some really interesting things about them. Just as with evvvvery other post, I am not saying that any of things relate to all Russian people- these are just things I have seen with my students.


#1-They are not completely "cold and heartless"- but some fit the stereotype very well. The majority of the students are seemingly happy people, but keep the smiling to a minimum. I have one student who I was sure hated our lessons, until she upped the number we had per week- guess she likes me well enough? As for the reason behind the seriousness, it can be accredited to a number of different things- harsh living conditions, cultural expectations, government influence, etc. Just remember, when you meet a Russian person, don't assume they are an angry member of the mob, and don't be surprised if they are thrown off by your chipperness.

#2- If you ask a Russian person about school, they will talk about their schooling as a child. If you want to hear about University, you must specifically say it. This sounds like a pretty "duh" thing, I know, but think about it. When someone asks you about school, most likely you talk about the most recent schooling you had, possibly because you like to voice your level of education, or possibly because you are thinking chronologically in reverse. As for attending University in Russia, it is becoming more and more popular- just like in every other country. If you complete high school with all 5s (the equivalent of all As for us), you get free schooling in the country. The focuses of education are most often on maths and sciences, though many people seem to believe that while the Russian people are very educated in these areas, the actual country is lacking the fruits of the knowledge.

#3- If you ask a Russian about their family, if they are married, they will discuss their husband/wife and children. That is normal, of course, but the Russians seem to discount their parents, siblings, and extended families. Not that they don't consider them family, or don't visit or love them. But to them, after getting married you start a new life, and your parents become more of extended family. I asked a student about her family, and she said "I have my husband and me." I mentioned her parents, and she replied "Well, of course I have parents, every one does. I have grandparents, aunts, and uncles. But they are not my family". Coming from a very large and close family, this was quite a surprise to me. What do you say if someone asks you about your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment