Monday, August 13, 2012

One More Night, then Back to Normal

Tonight is the Closing Ceremonies. I attempted to purchase tickets to go, but at £2,000 a pop, there was no way that was happening. Thus, I am sitting in the exact same position I did during the Opening Ceremony. If nothing, I am consistent.

So instead of posting just the comments I heard during the ceremony (like last time), I am picking the few most interesting and reflecting on them.

"Was it worth it?"
(said by a BBC commentator)
This was the first comment I heard when we turned the TV on, during the ceremony's pre-show. It was in regards to whether or not it was worth it to have the Olympics in London. I think, of course, the answer is yes. England is currently in a terrible recession (twice as worse as ours in the states, so no whining), and the games brought thousands of jobs and millions/billions of pounds to the economy. It was thought that there would be a huge issue with transportation throughout the city, but it wasn't as bad as they thought. Since people were provided with free Travelcards when they purchased a ticket (to a venue in the city), the streets weren't clogged with cars. The Metro was packed, yes, but as you headed out from a venue, the people left the trains, and it was like normal.

Also, the games did amazing things for the patriotism for Britain. A normally subtly proud nation, currently you see little flags outside most houses, Team GB t-shirts and flags everywhere. How long it will stick, time will only tell. But at the moment, the Brits  are proud.

Now, there has been some discussion about how the economy will end up after this. The Brits I live with figure that ,in a week, it will come out how much the government is in debt after this. I guess we will have to wait and see!

"I felt like I was in Wonderland"
(young boy on the BBC broadcast before the ceremony)
This was a sweet comment, and aptly earned (it some venues and situations). Walking through Greenwich, flags and fans and enthusiasm were everywhere. I have yet to go into the Olympic Park, but it is supposed to beautiful and entertaining. Going into the footballs, everyone was smiling and laughing, and any banter was in good fun. For any kid, getting to walk around the OLympic-filled London would truly be a magical experience.

"These were the women's games"
(BBC commentator)
I liked this comment. I'm not saying the women did better in this Olympics, or they deserved it more, etc.. For the first time in the Olympics, every country had women competing. It is unfortunate how much pressure had to be put on some countries to have equality. I am not, nor will ever, judging the beliefs of another group of people. If your faith has you believing something different from the rest of the world, then that is your decision. But. If you want to join the rest of us in 2012, then you cannot expect to get to pick and choose how you do it. You don't want women competing in the Olympics? Fine, your men cannot either. Rules are rules. It is different if the women do not want to- forcing them to do it to make a statement solves nothing. However, they should at least be given the option. And I am glad that finally, everywhere, they were.

"Tomorrow, everyone is going back to work"
(BBC commentator)
This was funny to hear. The primary "everyone" in this statement was about the athletes (who mostly do have day jobs, along with training). The secondary "everyone" were the people who were working and volunteering at the games. My man's boss actually took off the last two weeks to be involved (She was one of the people at the show last night with the light bulbs on their heads).

The funny thing? That the majority of people in London, and throughout Britain never stopped working. Everyone is going back to work? What about the people who never stopped working! Could you imagine if everyone had stopped working for two weeks? No food or transportation or sanitation throughout the city? How silly it is to discredit those who make our daily lives possible! So thanks to the volunteers and workers of London 2012- but a bigger thanks to those who kept their day jobs, so that normal life could continue for those of us who are not world class athletes.

"They are lip-syncing!"
This was a realization by us during the performance of One Direction. Most popular boy band in the UK at the moment, also quite popular in the states. They totally lip synced their closing ceremony performance. Hardly surprising, it's a huge venue, they didn't want to mess it up in front of the world, yadda yadda. I was sad I didn't attend, because I thought it would be amazing to see all these famous singers in concert.. I know that not all were lip syncing.. but to have paid 2,000 pounds to have a lip synced show? I would have been well upset to find that out!


Overall, I really enjoyed the Closing Ceremonies. Great musicians and dancers, awesome blasts from the past (Spice Girls!) and a good variety of genres and ages. I am glad I didn't pay £2,000 pounds to go, but I would not have minded a couple hundred. Oh well, to late now.

Next stop? Sochi 2014! I am currently in the process of 1. getting my students to find tickets for me and 2. convincing my man we should go. Anyone else interested?!

No comments:

Post a Comment