Thursday, May 9, 2013

DIY Bride: Bedazzled Wedding Shoes


Brides everywhere dream of finding the perfect wedding shoes for their perfect day. For me, I yearned for something a bit different and fun, but still classy. I didn't want overwhelming crazy colors or in-your-face designs, but I did want them to grab people's attention. I was not opposed to spending a chunk of money beyond my budget, granting that I fell head-over-heels in love. However, after a couple weeks of searching, scouring the internet and the malls, I couldn't find anything that captured my heart.


Eventually, when I realized I wasn't any closer to finding my perfect shoes, I decided to go another route, and decorate my own. Since I love DIYing, I wasn't overly miserable about it. Hey, any chance to get a little crafty shouldn't be ignored, right?


On that note...

Haha saw that picture a few days ago, and couldn't ignore it! Ok, I'm not a hard-core crafter who always has pinking shears in my handbag or puff-pant in my purse. But I still like to get my creativeness on when I can!

Anyway, back to the shoes..

I decided to get some simple colored shoes, and then bedazzle the heels. Just doing the heels mean that the shoes look fun and creative, but not overpowering. Plus, it doesn't make them look so "weddingy" that they can never be worn again. 

I found these plain mint pumps at Forever 21. I'm a huge fan of the color, not too bright and not too boring. Then I hit up the craft store, and got my rhinestones, pearls, and super glue. 

I didn't really want square rhinestones, but that's all the had. Craft stores are not that common in the UK!
Ok, you're right Eintein, obviously they are not real pearls. Both the pearls and the rhinestones need to have flat backs so they can stick on the shoes. Mine actually had sticky pads on the backs, but I still super glued them on. Better safe than sorry!



First, I stuck all the gems on WITHOUT the glue. Like I mentioned before, mine had sticky pads on them so they stayed where placed (but could be picked off). I only did this for one side of the first heel, so I could get a general idea. I then removed all the gems.

When I started applying the gems with glue, I applied them to the inside side of one of the heels, at the bottom. That way, if it didn't look good ,or the glue didn't work or something, the problem place wouldn't really be seen.


There are several different ways of strucuring your application of gems. I focused on one "side" of the heel at a time. I applied the biggest rhinestones first, then smaller and smaller. Then I applied the pearls in the leftover spaces. 



After I finished one side, I flipped the shoe over and did the other. I saved the middle part for last, since it is the largest and most seen area. 

And here are the finished shoes!




What do you think?! I'm in love with them! I'm so happy that instead of settling for something that was good, but not great, I made exactly what I was looking for!


Here are some tips if you are trying them at home:


TIP #1: Use tweezers to place the gems on the shoes, so that you don't get glue on your fingers (though, to be honest, I did anyway..)
TIP #2: Place the largest rhinestones first, then go down in size. This will give you the most even dispursal of sizes.
TIP #3: Don't use too much glue! Since my shoes where fabric, any glue the went outside of where the rhinestone was actually made the fabric darker.
TIP #4: Keep it simple! Start with just a few rhinestones, then add more later. It is easier to add them to take them away!

Comments? Questions? Leave me some love below!

No comments:

Post a Comment