Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Double the Parties, Double the Fun

As many of you know, Rob and I will be having two wedding ceremonies. One will be this year, actually 2 1/2 weeks from now (yikes, that's soon!). The other will be sometime in 2014, most likely in the springtime. So, why?

First understand this: it is not because I am such an attention-seeking bridezilla that I expect people to be celebrating my dream day twice. Actually, I don't particularly want two ceremonies, especially not a year apart.

Our first ceremony has two purposes. The main one is so we can start the process of getting Rob's green card to come to the states. The other is to give people living in the UK a chance to come to our wedding, as some of them will not be able to come to the US for the other. This ceremony is going to be small and simple, and is actually being planned all by the groom. Yes, I have relinquished wedding planning to my man. It's not easy, believe me!!

The second ceremony will be in the US next year, and all our friends and family will be invited. It will be a much bigger affair, and I am so excited to start planning it (which will happen once I get back to the US in June).  I have so many ideas from Pinterest that I am not sure I will know where to start!

So why don't I want two ceremonies? Well, it's not so much that I don't want two, it's that I want to have one with everyone, not two with people missing. For our UK ceremony next month, I won't have anyone from my family there. While I completely understand them not being able to come (money, time, etc), it still makes me sad that I will be alone. I know I know, I'm not alone, because Rob's family is also my family. I'm lucky to be gaining such an accepting and wonderful family. However, it's still going to feel a bit sad.

Anyway, I am going to make the most of everything. I have accepted how this ceremony will be, and it is not going to bring down our special day. Thus, I am embracing the positive part of having two ceremonies: Double the parties, Double the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment