Thursday, September 20, 2012

Chinatown, London

My last overseas adventure was living in Hohhot, Inner Mongolia, China (http://gingerinhohhot.blogspot.co.uk/). 

Today, I went with a friend (who worked with me in China) to Chinatown, in London.


We were so excited to go, because we both have great memories of living in China. We were eager to see if the area was more like Hohhot, or Beijing, or Shanghai (all cities in China are quite different). We were hoping to find some of the special stores we frequented in China (or at least miniature duplicates). We wanted to find special ingredients to make the meals we had learned to cook, and restaurants which served the food we hadn't. 


Over all, I was pleased and disappointed with Chinatown. First the good things.

The area is decently clean (unlike the real China). It wasn't too crowded (though it is very busy), and the people were quite pleasant. Even though the area is called Chinatown, there are a wide variety of restaurants and stores from different Asian cultures. If you are looking for dim sum, acupuncture, massages, mooncakes, or good deals on London keychains, it's the place to be. I bet this place has quite the party during the Chinese New Year! The decorations and signs are Chinese, but the buildings are pure British, which makes for an interesting collaboration. It's not a super touristy place, don't go here instead of actually going to China. But if you want authentic Chinese food, it is an excellent lunch locale.
I love the addition of the Queen!
 For all the good things, Chinatown was not what I hoped it would be. It smelled like China, and most of the people in the area where Asian, but there was just something missing. Or maybe it was the opposite- somthing there was that we didn't have in China- other Westerners. We were walking around a Chinese supermarket, and the thoughts running through my head were "What are these people doing here? Have they visited China or are they just lost? Do they know what that actually tastes like?". I know that sounds a bit silly, but if you had lived in the city I did, you would have the same thoughts!

There were other little annoying things about the area, but they were more of personal annoyances than anything. The supermarket didn't have the noodles I wanted (though I could get them in St. Augustine, FL.. how odd!). The steamed dumplings weren't good at the restaurant we went to. The restaurant added the tip to the bill (in China there is no tipping). Little things.
 So my analysis of Chinatown? If you like authentic Chinese/Asian food, check it out. If you are looking for a tourist area that mimics the real place, then it's a no go. I will be returning, though, I am convinced that one of the restaurants in the area must serve my favorite Chinese dish!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment