Monday, August 6, 2012

Pinterest Craft Creation #1

I love arts and crafts. Sorority girl + teacher= a person who loves creating new and glittery things. I've decided that rather than wasting my days sleeping (yawn) I will attempt to create new things (yay!).

First thing? Earring holder out of a dishtowel and a picture frame! Yay!

Ok, it isn't the most amazing thing ever, but it is useful and it was cheap. And it was a last minute grab at the store.

Let me set the stage for you: Ambling around the pound store (slightly less awesome than our dollar store), I saw some plain brown picture frames. "Hmm" I thought to myself "I remember seeing earring holders made form frames on Pinterest. Too bad I don't have any fabric to use with it." I turned, and saw right behind me, on the other side of the aisle, were cream colored dish towels "Huh. I could use that. Not the most exciting color, but, it's a pound. Good deal." So I grabbed the dishcloth and the frame.

Upon arriving home, the first thing I did was take the glass out of the frame, and wrapped the dishcloth around the backing. Then, pushed it back into the frame as if it was a picture. I next proceded to slip all my dangly earrings through, first haphazardly, then giving into my OCD tendencies, and arranging them by their general color. At least I didn't go so far as doing it by their exact color, or size!

After that, I decided that it was pretty nice, but very plain. So I decided to decorate the frame with a Sharpie. I drew vines around one side, and wrote "Live a little, Love a lot" on the top/bottom (Thanks, Kenny Chesney, for the inspiration!) I got a little excessive in my writing as I grew more confident, so the top script is much more delicate looking than the bottom. Oh well.

So... here is the finished result!
Overall? I'm happy with it. I realized very quickly that I should have waited to put the earrings on until after I decorated. And currently, the dish towel is not actually affixed to the frame backing- I need to glue it. Also, I am going to attempt to add my stud earrings to it, not sure how yet, though (unless I keep their backings in a separate place). Guess you will have to check back later to see if I manage to figure something out!

No comments:

Post a Comment